Permanent Residence for Caregivers

Posted on 18/03/2019

Are you a Caregiver already working in Canada who qualifies as in-home caregivers? Then the good news is that there’s a new pathway to Permanent Resident status available for you. The IRCC calls it The Interim Pathway for Caregivers which:

  • Opened up on March 4, 2019, and
  • Will close on June 4, 2019.

Remember that this means only applications received on or between those dates will be accepted. Any applications that were received before March 4, and especially those that are submitted after June 4, 2019 will NOT be accepted.


Which Caregivers Are Eligible for Permanent Residence?

To be eligible for this new pathway to PR status, you should:

  • Posses a valid work permit; OR, have applied to extend your work permit; OR have applied to restore your status as a worker in Canada.
  • Show that you have work experience in Canada as either:
    • A Home Child Care provider (NOC Group 4411), OR
    • A Home Support Worker (NOC Group 4412)
  • Have at least 1 year of full-time work experience since November 30, 2014 which can be cumulative rather than continuous but cannot include work experience while a student.
  • Be working in a job that is a match to your NOC code’s duties
  • Have approved language test results (IELTS, TEF etc.) equivalent to Canadian Languages Benchmark (CLB) 5 or NLCL (French language) 5 in all four areas of reading, writing, speaking, and listening
  • Be able to provide proof of a Canadian High School Diploma or an equivalent Foreign diploma, certificate, or credential.


Language Test Requirements

This means that you will have to have sat for an approved language test within 2 years previous to your applying for The Interim Pathway for Caregivers. You should be aware that the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) test centres are NOT eligible places to take an approved test. The approved tests are:

Approved TestSpeakingListeningReadingWriting
TEF (French)226-270181-216151-180226-270
TCF (French)6369-397375-4056

If you are unable to book a test before the closing date of June 4, 2019, you should book a test as soon as you can. After booking your language test you then have to provide proof you have booked a test with an approved agency. This may include things like having a written confirmation from the testing agency as well as a receipt for payment of the test.

You must ensure that you send the original test results along with the application. You should NOT request that the testing organization (IELTS, TEF, CELPIP, etc.) send the results. Send the original copy of the results yourself. If you cannot access the online application webform, then mail your results to:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o PR (CG), Station 805
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3


Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

If your secondary education was taken abroad and you don’t have a Canadian High School Diploma, you have to get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), which is available from one of the following designated organizations:

  • Comparative Education Service
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • World Education Services
  • International Qualifications Assessment Services
  • International Credential Evaluation Service.

Remember when applying for your ECA that you have to:

  • Obtain all the documents your designated organization requests
  • Ask that your school send you multiple copies of your diploma, degree, transcript, records etc.
  • Make sure you follow the rules of the designated organization on how to submit documents
  • And of course, you have to pay the fees to the designated organization. IRCC does not cover the cost of fees incurred in obtaining an ECA.

Keep in mind when submitting your ECA along with your application to:

  • Submit an original copy of the ECA report NOT a photocopy
  • Also include copies of your diploma, degree, transcript etc.
  • Make sure that your ECA report:
    • Was issued after a designated organization was officially approved by Canadian immigration authorities (you can avoid this problem by dealing with the better-known designated organizations which have been in business for years)
    • Was created less than 5 years prior to the date of your application
  • Demonstrates that your foreign credential is equal to or higher than a Canadian High School Diploma
  • If you are unable to obtain an ECA before the closing date of June 4, 2019 then you have to send proof of having submitted a request for an ECA with your application to IRCC.
  • And once again, do NOT request to have your ECA report sent directly to IRCC. Instead, send an original copy of your ECA along with the rest of your application.


Apply for PR as a Caregiver

Please click here to see how to apply. Then go here to get the application package online and to fill it out as follows.

  • First, download and fill out online the Generic Application for Permanent Residence IMM 0008 You will require Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 to fill out the form. If you are unable to download it directly, then instead, right-click on the link and choose Save Target as …
  • Next, fill out the application form, and remember to validate each page by clicking on the Validate button located at the top or the bottom of every page.
  • Finally print it, sign it, and date the application form as well.
  • A final page with barcodes will be created when you print your completed application form. Remember to place this barcode page on the top of your package. If you have more than one application package, place the appropriate printed barcode page on the top of each individual package.
  • Also, use the Document Checklist form in the link on instructions listed before above to make sure you have all the required documents completed and ready to send in with your application.

Click here for information on the fees as well as how instructions on how to pay them. The fees will generally include:

  • Processing fees for you and anyone else included on your application
  • Right of Permanent Residence Fee
  • Biometrics (if applicable).

Once your application is fully completed with all supporting documents, and signed and ready to be submitted, you should mail it to:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o PR (CG), Station 805
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3


What Happens After You Apply?

After you have sent in your application, you may receive a request for Biometric information in the form of a Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) which include several biometrics collection points in your region or in Canada. When you go to provide biometrics, please remember to take your BIL with you to the biometrics collection point.

Go here to check the status of your application online. If your application is approved, you will be notified and will receive instructions to send your valid passport to the processing centre to have the following visas added:

  • Your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and
  • Your entry visa if you are applying from outside Canada from a country that requires an entry visa to travel to Canada.

Posted in Tips and tagged Caregiver, Immigration, Permanent Residence

Related Posts