B1 visas are for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business purposes, and B2 visa is for tourism, pleasure or visiting.  You can apply for a combination of both purposes. (B1/B2). Visitors are not permitted to work or study in the United States. Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, a valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid.

How to Apply

– complete online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. Print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview

– upload your photo (2 x 2)

– schedule an interview (mandatory if you are between age 14 – 79) at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live

– pay the non-refundable visa application fee: US$160.00.

Documents Required

– your passport, which must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States

– Form DS-160 confirmation page

– application fee payment receipt

– photo

– documents evidencing your purpose of trip and intent to depart the U.S. after your trip such as proof of your employment  and family ties. A letter of invitation or affidavit of support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. U.S. immigration does not take these documents as factors when you determine whether to issue or deny you the visa.

– financial ability to pay all costs of your trip

Visa Interview

During the interview, you will be determined if you are qualified to receive a visa. You may also need to have your fingerprints taken depending on the location.  If your application needs further administrative processing, you will be advised so by the consular officer. It typically takes about 60 days to complete the further administrative processing.

If your visa is approved, you will be informed how your passport with visa will be returned to you by a courier. You can also pick up your passport from the courier company.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

There are currently 38 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If you are a citizen of one of these countries, you can travel to the United States without a visitor visa for up to 90 days. You need to have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel.

The current VWP countries are:

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and United Kingdom.


Citizens of Canada and Bermuda generally do not need visas for tourism and visits.


MaxCan Immigration serves the following communities for your US visa needs:

  • Markham
  • Richmond Hill
  • Vaughan
  • Pickering
  • Scaborough
  • Stouffville
  • anywhere else in the Greater Toronto Area