Canada Citizenship Application

Under the current law, after you live in Canada as a permanent resident for a minimum three year, you may be eligible to become a Canadian citizen when you meet the following requirements:

  • you are 18 years old. If you are under 18, you will have to apply as an accompanying dependent of a parent or legal guardian or adoptive parent.
  • have resided in Canada for at least 3 years (1095 days) in the past four years before you apply. This does not apply to children under 18.
  • have adequate knowledge of either English or French language if you are between 18 and 54
  • have not been in trouble with the law in the past three years before you apply. Time in prison or on parole or probation does count as time you have lived in Canada.
  • have not had your Canadian citizenship taken away in the past five years
  • pass the citizenship test

You do not need to have a valid PR card in order to apply for citizenship.

Proof of Citizenship

The following documents are accepted as proof of citizenship:

  • birth certificate from a Canadian province or territory.  Your birth certificate will not be accepted as proof of citizenship if you were born in Canada after February 14, 1977 and when you were born, neither of your parents was a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and one of your parents had status as a foreign diplomat in Canada. However, if you were born before February 14, 1977 to a parent with foreign diplomat status, you can apply to verify if your birth certificate is valid proof of citizenship.
  • naturalization certificates issued before January 1, 1947
  • registration of birth abroad certificates issued between January 1, 1947 and February 14, 1977, inclusive, and
  • certificates of retention issued between January 1, 1947 and February 14, 1977, inclusive

The first generation limitation came into efect as of April 2009

Canadians used to be allowed to pass on their citizenship to endless generations born outside of Canada. It was changed as of April 17, 2009 that Canadian parents can only pass on their citizenship to their children born outside of Canada, but not their children’s children..

However, the citizenship can be passed on to the second or third generation if at the time of your birth, one of your parents or grandparents was employed outside of Canada in or with the Canadian Armed Forces or the federal or provincial or territorial public administration or services.

Adult Citizenship Application

Child’s Citizenship Application

If you are not sure if you qualify, contact Maxcan Immigration in Markham, Ontario. Maxcan Immigration serves the Greater Toronto Area.


More Information About Canadian Citizenship