Sponsorship Canada

Posted on 25/01/2018

If you have a spouse or common-law partner or dependent child who is not a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident, you’ll need to sponsor them if you want to live with them in Canada. You can sponsor them to become permanent residents in Canada.

Recent changes in the rules have removed the mandatory 2 year cohabitation requirement for sponsored spouses or partners after they have been granted permanent residence, which should make it safer for those who have not lived with their sponsor for 2 years after coming to Canada.

If you want to be a sponsor you need to:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • Be able to show your relative will reside permanently in Canada upon arrival
  • Be able to prove you’re not receiving social assistance for any reason but disability
  • Have adequate income to support any child, grandchild or dependent child of the applicant

You can’t sponsor someone if you fall under these conditions:

  • You’ve failed to pay an immigration loan, performance loan or family support payment
  • You are under a removal order
  • You have previously failed to meet the basic needs of someone on social benefits
  • You are a prisoner
  • You are receiving social assistance for any reason but disability
  • You are bankrupt or processing bankruptcy
  • You were sponsored in the last 5 years to be a permanent resident of Canada
  • You have sponsored a partner or spouse in the previous three years
  • You have been convicted of a violent or sexual crime, or an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative

There are special rules for sponsorship if you are a resident of Quebec, check the following link for the rules:

For basic sponsorship, look for the IM5525 application guide and follow the instructions.

Be aware, the application won’t be accepted if any of the documents don’t meet the requirements.

Do not send original copies of your documents unless they are specifically asked bcaused they won’t be returned.

A visit to a notary might be required to ensure some documents, such as your marriage certificate can be accepted.

There are stringent conditions that vary depending on which country you are applying from, so be very sure you’ve got the right documents.

Sponsorship Canada can be a complicated and difficult process. If you require assistance, please contact Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant Mary Zhang at Maxcan Immigration in Markham, Ontario.

Sponsoring a Spouse/Common-Law Partner

The most common form of sponsorship for Canada is spousal/partner sponsorship, where the Canadian citizen or permanent resident sponsors their foreign spouse, common-law or conjugal partner. The spousal sponsorship program is a way of uniting families in Canada. The process is long and complicated; it takes about one year from the submission of the sponsorship application, which can be as a large as a phone book. See our Family Sponsorship Page or call us at 1-855-562-5188 to start now.

Sponsoring a Dependent Child

If you immigrated to Canada without bringing your children, or you have adopted a foreign child, the dependent child sponsorship process is the way to proceed. Only children under the age of 22 may be sponsored to Canada (except for adult dependent children under very specific circumstances). Please see our Family Sponsorship Page or call us at 1-855-562-5188  to start now.

Sponsoring Parents or Grandparents

Sponsorship Canada allows Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their parents or their grandparents to become permanent residents. Unlike the other programs, there is a hard cap on the number of parents and grandparents admitted each year and the process is highly competitive. Unlike sponsoring your spouse or child, it is not just a matter of being eligible. There is now a lottery every January because the demand is so high. Please see our Family Sponsorship Page or call us at 1-855-562-5188  to start now.

Because there is so much demand for the Canada Sponsorship program when it comes to parents and grandparents, there is also a “Super Visa” program for parents to come temporarily but for a longer period than a regular visa.

Sponsoring Another Family Member

It is normally not possible to sponsor anyone else using the Sponsorship Canada program. However, some provinces allow you to sponsor other family members. These Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs) change quite frequently so if you are trying to sponsor your sibling or nephew/niece or other family member, contact Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RC IC) Mary Zhang at Maxcan Immigration in Markham, Ontario for the latest information on these types of programs.

Refugee Sponsorship

It is also possible to sponsor someone who has refugee status from the UN. You need at least five Canadian citizens or permanent residents in order to sponsor one refugee. The Canadians do not need to be related to the refugee but the refugee must be registered with the UN.

Posted in Tips and tagged sponsorship

Related Posts