Shaking hands
New Study in Canada Scholarships Allows Post Graduation Work Permit

Posted on 31/01/2020

It used to be that if as a student you received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) you were ineligible to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). That has changed with the recent announcement that GAC is putting together a new scholarship program called:

The Study in Canada Scholarship program

If you obtain a scholarship under this new program, you will be eligible to apply for post-graduate work permit when you graduate from your course of study. This means that the Study in Canada Scholarship is a wonderful way to:

  • obtain higher education in Canada and also
  • gain the possibility of working in your field in Canada once you graduate.

What’s not to like about this? Have your studies funded (at least part of the cost) and then be able to look for work in Canada!

While this is a newly announced program, here is what has been released so far.

  • You must be an international student who will study full-time at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI – go here for more information) in Canada
  • All post-secondary academic disciplines are eligible
  • The scholarship is for up to 2 years for programs leading to a:
  • Diploma or a post-secondary certificate,
  • Post-graduate certificate, or
  • Master’s degree
  • The program must be taught at DLI which can be a:
  • College,
  • Technical or vocational institute, or
  • University

How to apply

  • You the student have to apply to an academic institution of the types listed above and be accepted by that institution and inform them in your application that you are interested in the Study in Canada Scholarship program.
  • The institution then has to apply to GAC for a scholarship on your behalf.
  • The successful institutions will then receive a so-called contribution agreement from GAC which will cover the administration and disbursement of the scholarship to you the student.
  • The application period is from January through March 2020 and will apply to scholarships for the upcoming 2020-2021 academic year.

Targeted countries

The purpose of this scholarship program is to increase the diversity of international students in Canada’s post-secondary institutions. The following countries are listed on a GAC website, but it is currently unclear if the Study in Canada Scholarships are limited to students from the following countries:

  • Azerbaijan
  • Bhutan
  • Comoros
  • Djibouti
  • Fiji
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kiribati
  • Liberia
  • Mauritania
  • Micronesia
  • Palau
  • Tonga
  • Uzbekistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Vanuatu
  • Palestinian students from West Bank, Gaza, East Jerusalem

How to apply for a post-graduate work permit

To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must have completed a program at an eligible designated learning institute from a program that is at least 8 months in duration.
  • You must have maintained full-time student status except for certain permitted leaves from studies or if your final academic session is part-time (for reasons like completing academic requirements or finalizing a thesis).
  • You have a transcript (record of your courses completed and your academic results) and an official letter from your institution stating you have met the requirements to complete your program of study. You must include these in your application.
  • It has been less than 180 days since you held a valid study permit or you still hold a valid study permit on the date of your application for a post-graduate work permit.
  • You are a student who does not require a study permit because you are a family member of a foreign government representative or a foreign military, including civilian workers for that foreign military. Go here for more information.

Remember to include the following documents in your application for a post-graduate work permit:

  • Official letter confirming completion of the program of study
  • Official transcript from your DLI. You may provide a copy of your transcript directly from your DLI’s website.

This is an evolving story so please check back with us as more information becomes available. And consult with the administration at any Canadian post-secondary learning institution you may be interested in attending.

Posted in News and tagged Post Graduation Work Permit

Related Posts