City Hall, Toronto, Ontario
OINP Opens Up Expressions of Interest for Foreign Worker and International Student Streams

Posted on 01/05/2021

Ontario’s OINP has opened up its new Expression of Interest (EOI) system for the following immigration streams:

  • Employer Job Offer – Foreign Worker stream

  • Employer Job Offer – International Student stream

The Expression of Interest system will remain open throughout the year and you can register an EOI at any time during the year.

Let’s review each stream to see how the new EOI system works at the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).

I. Foreign Worker stream

This stream gives foreign skilled workers in NOC type 0 and NOC level A & B the opportunity to apply to the OINP for a provincial nomination. There are three main stages:

  • First you register an expression of interest (EOI)
  • Then if you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) you submit an application.
  • Finally, if successful OINP nominates you.

Let’s go through each stage.

  1. Create a profile at the OINP e-Filing Portal

Go here to create a profile at the portal.

  1. Register an Expression of Interest

Once you have created a profile at OINP e-Filing Portal you can then register an expression of interest at that portal.

Remember: to be eligible you must:

  • Have a job offer which:
    • Is full-time and permanent (1,560 hours a year or a minimum of 30 hours per week)
    • In an NOC occupation of Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A or B
    • With a wage at or greater than the occupation’s median wage (use Job Bank’s site here to find an occupation’s median wage)
    • In a position (job) urgently needed by your employers’ business
    • With the work involved occurring primarily in the province of Ontario.
  • Be an applicant who:
    • Has received an ITA (once you’ve registered and then apply)
    • Has the qualifications necessary for the chosen occupation
    • Have a valid license or other authorization if your occupation requires one
    • Have 2 years paid full-time work experience for that occupation if no license is required
    • Have the intention to live and work in Ontario if granted a nomination
    • Has legal status in Canada if you’re in Canada already
  • Have a job offer from an employer who:
    • Has been in business for 3 years prior to your application
    • Has business premises (the location where they do business) where you will work located in Ontario
    • Has no outstanding orders against them under the Employment Standards Act or the Occupational Health and Safety Act (of Ontario)
    • Has made a sufficient effort to recruit a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for the job you will be doing (this only applies if you are currently living outside Canada or working outside of Ontario)
    • Has minimum CAD$ 1 million gross annual revenue if located within GTA
    • Has minimum CAD$ 500,000 gross annual revenue if located outside GTA
    • Has at least 5 full-time workers who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents at the location where you will work if within GTA
    • Has at least 3 full-time workers who are citizens or permanent residents if outside GTA
  1. You receive an ITA from OINP and submit an application
  • You have 14 calendar days (2 weeks) from the date of your notification of an ITA (Invitation to Apply) to submit your application.
  • The application fee is CAD$ 1,500 or CAD$ 2,000 – depending on if your location is within or outside the GTA.
  • Make sure you set aside around 3 or more hours to complete the application. Have your supporting documents ready to scan and upload – including having them translated into either English or French.
    • Identity documents
    • Status documents
    • Employer documents
    • Job offer documents
    • Documents supporting your work history
    • Resume (CV)
    • Attestation form signed by you (go here)
    • Other supporting documents (if required)
    • Go here for more information on documents.
  • You can do the application yourself or appoint a representative. The choice is up to you.
  1. After you apply
  • For any changes in information that happen after you’ve already applied, login to the e-Filing Portal:
    • For changes in phone numbers, e-mail addresses, or country of residence click on My Profile and make the changes.
    • For all other changes in your personal information, complete a Change of Personal Information form. Go here for more information. Attach the form to an email which you should send to . Use the subject line: “Application Change Notice – [File number]”
  • If you are nominated, you will receive the following by email:
    • A nomination approval letter
    • A work permit support letter
    • A nomination certificate
  • You then have to use your nomination to apply to IRCC for permanent residence within 6 months of your nomination. While a nomination is usually a ticket to PR status, it does NOT guarantee you a successful application for PR status by IRCC. That decision is made by IRCC and OINP at this point is not involved.
  • Your work permit support letter will be valid for 6 months. If your application for PR status is still being processed and your work permit is about to expire, you can request an extension of your work permit.

II. International Student Stream

The process is very similar to that of Skilled Foreign Workers, with only a few differences. We’ll list the differences here. The rest of the process is as we’ve detailed above.

Job qualifications

  • The wage in the offered job must be at or greater than the Low Wage for that occupation (rather than the median wage in the case of foreign skilled workers). Go here to Job Bank to see what the low wage is for your occupation.

Applicant qualifications

  • Have received a degree or diploma from an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution for a program that lasted at least 2 years, OR
  • Have received a degree, diploma, or certificate of at least 1 year IF it also requires a completed degree or diploma as an admission requirement.
  • You must submit your application within 2 years of the date of completion of your degree, diploma, or certificate.

Your fee is CAD$ 1,500 only, regardless of where in Ontario you will be working and living.

Posted in News Tips and tagged Foreign workers, International students, OINP

Related Posts